Fire guts Adenta SSNIT flat
Adenta, July 1, Ghanadot/GNA –
Fire on Monday gutted the first floor of the Adenta SSNIT
flat Number 32, Room Number A3 and destroyed property valued
at over 30,000 Ghana cedis.
But for the timely intervention of personnel of the Ghana
National Fire Service the fire, which started around 1330
hours and lasted for about an hour, would have spread to the
second floor of the flats.
Property destroyed in the fire included fridges, television
sets, electrical gadgets, documents, clothing and other
Mr Chris Twum, a journalist and a victim of the incident,
told the Ghana News Agency on Tuesday that they experienced
a series of power fluctuations on Saturday and Sunday during
the rains, adding that they switched off their main power
Mr Twum said on Monday, at about 1330 hours, his mother
switched off some electrical gadgets from the power source
when the fluctuations started generating sparks in some of
the electrical sockets.
He said his mother checked the other rooms and saw that fire
had started in his (Twum’s) room and called for help. Two
neighbours fought the fire with a fire extinguisher but to
no avail as the room was engulfed in smoke.
A call was made to the Fire Service and they responded
promptly, bringing the fire under control within six
Mr Twum said officials of the Electricity Company of Ghana
confirmed that the sparks and power fluctuations experienced
in the flats was due to a fault with the underground cable
connected to the flat.
The officials claimed they cannot be held reliable because
the occupants did not report the fault.
He further said officials of National Disaster Management
Organization (NADMO) who assessed the damage to the flat
have promised to aid them.