Dusk to dawn curfew
imposed in Anloga and Keta
Accra, Nov. 2, Ghanadot/GNA – The Interior Minister, Mr
Kwamena Bartels has by Executive Instrument immediately
imposed a dusk to dawn curfew on Anloga and Keta to ensure
peace, law and order in the area.
The 0600 to 1800 hours curfew has been imposed following the
explosion of violence in the Anlo Traditional Area over the
nomination, confinement and installation of an Awoamefia,
resulting in the death of six people, including a policeman.
“The police and the military will strictly enforce this
curfew and anyone, who breaks the curfew, will face the full
rigours of the law,” Mr Bartels said this at an emergency
press conference in Accra on Friday.
Mr Bartels noted that in the wake of the violence, the
Government, by Executive Instrument had decided to invoke
the authority of the Public Order Law 491 to stop any
further processes leading to the installation of an Awomefia
for the people of Anlo.
He said a team of investigators from Ho and the CID
Headquarters in Accra were investigating the deaths and had
so far arrested 92 people who were being screened to
identify the culprits.
He said the issue of who was the rightful heir to the Anlo
Paramount Stool should be settled through the
constitutionally recognized structures of the Regional or
National Houses of Chiefs, or the courts and not on the
streets of Anlo or Keta or in the media.
Mr Bartels said by Executive Instrument, the Minister of
Interior had with immediate effect, prohibited all persons
in the Anloga and Keta areas from carrying arms or
He said though the Government stood by its position of
non-interference in chieftaincy affairs it had an
over-riding responsibility to ensure peace, tranquillity,
law and order.
The Minister appealed to traditional and opinion leaders and
to all citizens, residents and well-wishers of the Anlo
Traditional Area to assist the Government to ensure that
Mrs Oboshie Sai Cofie, Minister of Information and National
Orientation, called on the elders of Anlo and Keta to advise
the youth and encourage them to use constitutional means to
address their problems.
Meanwhile, the Fast Track Division of the High Court in
Accra on Friday stopped the installation of Francis Nyonyo
Agboada, Regent Torgbui Sri III, as the death toll in the
riots at Anloga in a protracted chieftaincy dispute rose to
The court, granting an order for interim injunction, barred
the kingmakers, the Anlo Traditional Council and any other
persons or institutions involved in the preparation and
installation of the Awoamefia of Anlo forthwith “from
holding any event to install the person named Fracis Nyonyo
Agboada, also known as Regent Torgbui Sri III, as the
Awoamefia scheduled for Saturday 3rd November 2007”.
The court presided over by Justice Marful Sau, an Appeal
Court judge sitting as an additional High Court Judge,
restrained the same parties from holding any meeting or
event concerning or connected to the installation of Regent
Torgbui Sri until further notice.
The Court further directed that the service of the order be
effected by substitution through the electronic and print
The Inspector-General of Police, Mr Patrick Acheampong, who
instituted the action, was represented by Mr Joe Ghartey,
Minister of Justice and the Attorney-General and the
Director of Public Prosecutions, Ms Gertrude Aikins.
Mr Ghartey, in an Ex-Parte motion with supporting affidavit,
prayed the Court to restrain the installation of the regent.
He said the Anlo Traditional Council gave notice to the
police about the installation and it was granted but
violence broke out resulting in the death of four persons
including a police officer.
Mr Ghartey said two more people had been reported dead on
Friday and that tension was still high adding that more
confusion and bloodshed would happen if the event went
He said unless the parties were restrained by the Court, the
installation would go on.
Mr Ghartey said the Government had the responsibility of
restoring law and order by way of seeking the court order.
He said although the IGP withdrew the permit, some people
still wanted to go ahead with the installation.
“If the court should wait after 48 hours, it would be too
late. The court should, therefore, grant an instant order
since the nature of the case is volatile.
He, therefore, prayed for a restraining order through a
substituted service which should be published in the print
and electronic media.
Earlier on Friday, the Police Administration on Friday
confirmed the murder of General Constable Moses Daba of the
Volta Regional Police Task Force, who was kidnapped while on
duty to maintain order in the chieftaincy conflict at Anloga
A statement issued by the Police Administration said Crime
Scene Management Teams and Detectives from the CID
Headquarters had been dispatched to the scene to assist the
Volta Regional Police in the investigations into the killing
of the Police Constable and the others.
The riots started when a faction in the raging chieftaincy
dispute tried to prevent the performance of rites at a
shrine to pave the way for the installation of Regent
Torgbui Sri III as Awoamefia of the Anglo Traditional area.
Eyewitnesses said the police clashed with the crowd that
tried to stop the performance of the rites at the shrine
resulting in three people being killed and several others
The statement said furthermore, a joint team of police and
military personnel had been deployed in Angola to restore
Police said 94 people had been arrested and screened and 74
of them had been sent to Ho for further investigations.
"The police are, therefore, appealing to the factions in the
conflict to exercise restraint and use all legitimate means
to resolve their differences.
"Furthermore, we also appeal to the residents of the area to
volunteer information that might lead to the arrest of those
who murdered the Constable and the three civilians."
Civilians confirmed dead on Friday are Israel Ahagzi, 28,
Mana Senyo, 48, and Menco Tugba, 47.